LOCAL GOVERNMENT NEWS/RESOURCES
As the situation related to the spread of COVID-19 continues to change on a daily and even hourly basis, UCCI is gathering the latest information provided by federal agencies, and will continue to update information and resources as they become available.
NEWS & INFORMATION
You should note, UCCI is not recommending that any county take any particular actions; but, we are providing the resources and examples below for your county’s benefit. These items all reflect local decisions and should be made according to the best interests of your individual county. To be clear, the documents and content therein are not necessarily suggested or endorsed by UCCI.
- Robert's Rules of Order "Sample Rules for Electronic Meetings" … For those counties who have adopted Robert’s Rules of Order for the governance of their meetings, the link above provides guidance on electronic meetings and proposed sample language for rules of order changes from the authors of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised. Please note that counties are not required to comply with Robert’s Rules of Order unless they have adopted them, and even where a county has adopted such rules, the provisions of the Counties Code and the Open Meetings Act still control over those rules.
- County Budget Considerations During Covid-19 Pandemic 'Legal Memorandum' prepared by Giffin, Winning, Cohen & Bodewes, UCCI legal counsel (May 21, 2020)
- Options for Postponement of Certain Portions of the Property Tax Cycle 'Legal Opinion' prepared by Giffin, Winning, Cohen & Bodewes, UCCI legal counsel. (April 16, 2020)
- Paid Leave Provisions in the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) US Department of Labor - O'Halloran, Kosoff, Geitner & Cook Law Firm
'MEMO - Use of Accrued Leave in Conjunction with Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) or Expanded Family and Medical Leave (EFML)' (April 14, 2020)
'EFML Sample Policy' (4-14-20)
'EFML Sample Form Request' (4-14-20)
'EFML Sample Form Designation Notice' (4-14-20)
'Sample Form Notice of Eligibility/Rights/Responsibilities' (4-14-20)
'EPSL Sample Policy' (4-14-20)
'EPSL Sample Form Request' (4-14-20)
'Summary-Department of Labor Guidance on Paid Leave Provisions in the Families First Coronavirus Response Act' (March 30, 2020)
- National Association of Counties (NACo) April 17, 2020 Report 'Running on Fumes/Impact of COVID-19 on County Finances'
- Counties without Coronavirus are mostly rural, poor AP article
- 'A Look at that University of Washington COVID-19 Study & How Illinois Fares' (University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics & Evaluation, founded by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) article by Rich Miller, Capitol Fax
- Holding Virtual Meetings (Please note, these examples are from a non-Illinois unit of local government)
'Michigan Board of Commissioners Special Meeting Notice & Tips for Virtual Meetings'
- COVID-19 Software Guide for Counties (Free Software Options)
'National Association of Counties (NACo) County Tech Xchange'
- Sangamon County State's Attorney news release (3-20-20)
Strict enforcement of criminal penalties for false reporting related to COVID-19 virus and noncompliance with Public Health orders; Cooperation between local prosecutors and Illinois Attorney General to fight price gouging/fraud
- Stephenson County Health Department announces first positive COVID-19 case news release
- Courts in the Quad Cities add further restrictions because of COVID-19 article
LOCAL GOVERNMENT RESOURCE